Okay. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I am “that mother.” And I love being that mother. I dress up for Halloween. I like to help out in my children’s classrooms. I send lesson plans to their teachers and offer to do them for the class. And my children love it, too. So– this lesson plan is aimed at teaching students how to spell ‘Halloween.’ Yes, it involves baking as well (yet another of my loves). I’ll post a copy of my sugar cookie recipe around Christmastime, unless people are really anxious for it sooner.
Spell Halloween Spell Lesson Plan
By Sherrie L. M. Gavin
Tools: Cookies for entire class, 1-2 “gag” cookies and/or a silly Halloween hairpin, all carried in a non-opaque bag, plus video resources and small slips of paper.
- WITCH (in this case, me– mother!) enters the class carrying a bag. WITCH tells the students she has some perfectly “Ghoulish” cookies for them. Play this up; WITCH takes a gag cookie (fake cookie with plastic insects glued on) and invite the “ghouls” to eat it. (they’ll say no, or WITCH will request the prove they are a ghoul before they eat it.) Soon, students will say they are not ghouls
- WITCH Says:
Make the cauldron boil and bake
A treat for GOONS we must make!
Eye of newt will strongly bubble
To make this potion full of trouble!
Soon the snakes and bats will swoon
This deadly potion for the goons!
WITCH tells the students she has some perfectly “Goony” cookies for them. Play this up; WITCH takes a gag cookie (a different fake cookie or the Halloween hairpin) and invite the “goons” to eat it. (they’ll say no, or WITCH will request they prove they are a goon before they eat it.) If using a hairpin, say how handy these Halloween hairpins are for witches’ hair– and put it in your hair. Soon, students will say they are not goons.
- WITCH asks the students what they are—not, ghouls, not goons, are they ghosts? Are they humans? Students will respond that they are humans. (which sequels, ” What? Humans? I’m terrified of humans! Are you the scary kind of humans? Oh, you’re children! Okay. Not as scary. Well. I guess you want a human treat?”
- WITCH tells the students because she is a witch, she can’t cast a human spell.
- WITCH asks the students if they know any human spells to make human cookies. (They’ll say no, or trick them and keep pulling out fake cookies.) WITCH tells them that they need is to know how to spell Halloween– humans must SPELL ‘Halloween’ because that is a magical spell to make human cookies!
- TEACHER says that she can teach the students to spell Halloween to cast the spell!
7. Play the audio of this to the students: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Eg8UifzmI
8. Have 7 pieces of paper prepared, and ask 8 students to help.
- the first student will point at the other students to let them know when to hold up the pieces of paper in order.
- Student 1 paper will have an “H”
- Student 2 paper will have an “A”
- Student 1 paper will have an “LL” (“Double L”)
- Student 1 paper will have an “O”
- Student 1 paper will have an “W”
- Student 1 paper will have an “EE” (“double E)
- Student 1 paper will have an “N”
Have them repeat spelling Halloween a few times as a group, first along with the song, then without the song.
9. WITCH: “You’ve learned the Halloween spell! The cookies are changing to human sugar cookies!” If there is time, have each student come up individually and spell “Halloween.” If there is not time, you can have the students come in small groups of 3, or as an entire class. When “Halloween” is spelled properly, hand the students each an edible sugar Halloween cookie.